Tuesday, September 6, 2011

There are two kinds of music; German music and bad music - H. L. Mencken

Sunday didn't have too great of a start.  I was woken up at 11:20 and I hastily had to get ready because we were going to their grandparent's house.  However, my host mom reminded me that I was going with Taina's, another exchange student, parents to the crowning of the Königin.  I didn't know where or even when I was meeting them so I was calling around to find out but no one was answering.  Finally, I found out we were meeting at 12 at her house though it was already 12:20. Oops.  But when I met up with them it turned out everybody forgot.  It wasn't a big deal to the others, but Taina's parents are my next house so I looked pretty silly.  Once we arrived we sat down in the open arena where it was 30 degrees already.  The one day it's hot in Germany and we have to sit in the sun with pants on.  We sat there for two hours in the scorching heat, but the program was really good. The floats were all very good, but, unfortunately, I forgot my camera.  I remember it when I don't need it and forget it when there's something good.  After that we went to get something to drink. I swear, it is hard to find a place to get something to drink that isn't beer and when you do it's 1.20 euro for a little dixie cup size.. it's mad. 

Then Taina and Paula went home so Esteban and I went to Tulipano an Italian restaurant.  Esteban wanted pepperoni so he order peperoni and yes it's spelled peperoni that's not a typo.  When he got it, it turned out to be peppers not pepperoni so he asked for salami.  But when he brought it back they had taken all the seeds from the peppers and put it on top.  Esteban is from Ecuador where food isn't as spicy as in Peru or Mexico, so after the first bite he was on fire.  He somehow finished the whole thing after three cups of orangen saft.  Then we parted ways and I went home. 

Monday's classes were like usual. Boring. However on Mondays I have music 7/8 hour so I get an hour lunch after 5/6 hour.  The school food is just as unappetizing here as it is in the USA so I suggested we go and get döner which was a great idea. So Paula, Esteban, Svenja, and I went to a restaurant in the marktplatz and ordered.  We sat and talked for thirty minutes but noticed we didn't have our food yet.  We finally got our food with only fifteen minutes to eat and if you've ever eaten döner you know it's messy.  We didn't have time to worry about that so we took it and ate it on the walk back to school.  Thankfully, it started raining so the food got soggy and we were drenched.  Now it wouldn't be a big deal but when we have school we aren't supposed to leave the campus. So we were soaked and now we had to go blend in with a bunch of dry kids.  Music class was a little better today.  I asked the music teacher to play something different because a dog could play the congo so he gave me the bongos so the same thing but smaller. Thanks.  But he started off with something easier then showed me a harder beat and said to try and learn it by the end of the class. I learned it in five minutes so I just sat there staring at the ceiling.  Hopefully next time he'll give me something more fun like keyboard or singing because those are fun groups.  After school I went with my brother and mom to get some things for his year in Russia.  We also picked up my bank card that has my Rotary allowance on it.  I bought some gloves because in the morning my fingers get bitterly cold. 

When we got home I had to quickly eat because I had a Rotary function that evening.  I just got done with my sandwich when Herr Hinrichs rung the doorbell.  I got my jacket and went to the marktplatz, which is on the river where our boat was.  I had some curry-wurst which was delicious and we went onto the boat.  Only Esteban and I remembered we had the boat ride so we were the only kids on the ship.  It was fun because everything was free and we just sat and talked.  Again, they gave us Schnapps but this time I played it safe and mixed it with coke.  We're not supposed to drink unless they allow us to which seems to be always.  The ship came to a lock where me and Esteban helped open and shut one side of the gate.  We were on one side and the mayor and some guy were on the other.  The mayor, who seems to be in his 60s, got his open twice as fast as me and Esteban so we were embarrassed but it was an experience.  One of the cool things about the boat ride was the Königin and princesses were on board.  Once it got dark there were fireworks which were pretty cool, then we got off the boat and went to the marktplatz.  The whole night I had been trying to get a picture with the princesses and queen but they were always doing something or running around but I finally got them and they actually gave Esteban and me three free rides on the bumper cars with them.  I will say that German bumper cars are a lot more intense and less safe than American bumper cars.  I about fell out of my car a couple times.  After that we went and got a beer which made me really sleepy.  So we went home and I went to bed. 

Monday I woke up with swollen tonsils and throat.  I stayed home and slept which was a great feeling because I'm always tired here.  I think it's because I concentrate so hard on trying to understand and speak.  Now, on Saturday is my orientation/sleep over event with all of the other exchange students.  Herr Hinrichs said there were about seventy to eighty so it will be fun.  The theme is Hippie/flowerpower which is dumb but hey, it's interesting.  Unless something amazing happens at school, highly unlikely, I will post after Saturday.  Tschüß!

No comments:

Post a Comment